answersLogoWhite

0


Best Answer

Certainly. This is why the US 2008 NEC requires "Tamper Resistant" receptacles to be installed. These receptacles attempt to prevent foreign objects being inserted into the slots. A normal plug will press into all slots at once, resulting in normal connection to the outlet. If a child attempts to put something into one slot, there is a guard blocking the slot.

Previous s:

If the child was grounded (i.e. with one finger in the "ground" prong of the outlet), he would be even more electrically conductive since part of his body is near ground voltage.

If the child is holding a metal key or a metallic screwdriver, most definitely yes.

Even the "neutral" side of the outlet is not necessarily at the same voltage as the earth the child is standing on. Children are even more at risk because they are more likely to have sweat or other conductive compounds on their hands to decrease their electrical resistance.

IMPORTANT!! It only take a tenth of an amp to cause death. A study of body resistances several years ago found resistances in some people so low that a mere 30 volts could cause 0.1 amp to go through the body. If you have children in the house, I recommend that you have outlet protectors inserted into the outlets.

The phrase "electrical shock hazard" means that there is a risk of electrical shock.

Residential electrical receptacles are by design inherently safe from the occasional paper clip, screwdriver, etc. poke-in from our average kids. Most homes built after 1984 in the US have 2 "blade" prongs and one "rounded" prong. Each prong has a specific function: the "blade" prongs provide the ability for current transfer, to a device, or to a person. Both of these blades must be touched simultaneously to power a device, or produce an electrical shock.

Additionally, touching the "line" blade and the "ground" (rounded) blade can also produce current transfer and hence an electrical shock. Of the line and neutral blades, the neutral blade can be identified as the larger of the two.

Homes built before 1984 typically do not have the ground (rounded) blade and the two straight blades are commonly the same size.

Troubleshooting electrical problems in one of these homes is best left to a licensed professional.

User Avatar

Wiki User

โˆ™ 2015-07-15 21:47:04
This answer is:
User Avatar
Study guides

Physics

20 cards

What type of circuit in which all parts are connected in a single loop

What angle is between 90 and 180

What condition has symptoms that include ringing buzzing or roaring in the ears or head

What is the transfer of energy as electromagnetic waves called

โžก๏ธ
See all cards
3.94
โ˜†โ˜…โ˜†โ˜…โ˜†โ˜…โ˜†โ˜…โ˜†โ˜…
16 Reviews

Add your answer:

Earn +20 pts
Q: Can a child get a shock from putting a key or screwdriver into a wall outlet?
Write your answer...
Submit
Still have questions?
magnify glass
imp
Related questions

What happens if an outlet is not grounded?

It is a potential shock hazard.


Is shock from an electric outlet enough to cause pain contract your muscle?

Shock from a standard 110 volt electric outlet can cause pain and contract muscles. An electric shock can cause death. It can also cause severe burns.


How do you get a paper clip loose from electric outlet?

You would , of course , cut the power to that outlet to protect yourself from shock .


Will an electric dryer shock if it is plugged into an electric stove outlet?

You bet it will.


What is the Difference between ground and guarding?

In terms of electricity:Grounding is putting a conductor from the circuit directly to earth. Guarding is putting some cover or barriers to live electrical wire, outlet or any conductor that are exposed to prevent physical contact that may result to electrical shock.


Can a radio give you an electric shock?

If your radio plugs into the wall outlet for power, then there are points inside it that would shock you if you were to touch them.


What are the ratings and certificates for Putting the Shock Into 'Earthshock' - 2003 V?

Putting the Shock Into 'Earthshock' - 2003 V is rated/received certificates of: UK:PG (DVD rating)


Why is the shock from a household outlet more dangerous to you if your skin is wet?

You conduct electricity better if you are wet.


If you bit an electrical outlet would it shock you?

Ask your mother to stop you biting dangerous things.


What type of adapter can be used for a washing machine when you only have a 2 prong outlet?

Do not use an adapter. You need a properly wired outlet for a washing machine. A shock could kill you.


Can you plug a 3 prong extension into a 110 volt outlet?

Yes, provided the outlet has a three element receptacle. The third prong is ground. If you use an adapter that connects three prongs to a two slot outlet there is a shock danger.


Can you harm a pool by putting too much shock in it?

No it will just wear its self out after a while

People also asked