Can you change fraction to similar fraction?

Updated: 9/15/2023
User Avatar


Lvl 1
13y ago

Best Answer

Yes you can change a fraction to a similar fraction. You can either make the number smaller or larger. To make a fraction smaller you are reducing it (this is normally called simplifying)

To check if it can be simplified, find the greatest common factor of the numerator and denominator. For example 16/32 can be simplified to 1/2 because the greatest common factor is 16, so by dividing both sides by 16, the number is changed but the value maintains (this makes 1/2 a similar fraction to 16/32). Also, multiplying the numerator and denominator by the same value can also give you a similar fraction. 1/2=15/30 because both sides have been multiplied by 15. If you calculate all the three fractions (16/32,1/2 and 15/30), all of them are 0.5. If their value are the same, they are similar fractions. Even 3124/6248 is a similar fraction to 1/2.

User Avatar

Wiki User

13y ago
This answer is:
User Avatar

Add your answer:

Earn +20 pts
Q: Can you change fraction to similar fraction?
Write your answer...
Still have questions?
magnify glass