answersLogoWhite

0


Best Answer

On two 6-sided fair dice:

  • Rolling a sum of 5: 4 out of 36, or 11.11%
  • Rolling a sum of 7: 6 out of 36, or 16.67%
  • Rolling a sum of either 5 or 7: 10 out of 36, or 27.78%

Here's why: Look at the dice as unique, (maybe one is red and one is blue). Then there are 36 different possible outcomes.

  • The four that give a sum of 5: 1+4, 2+3, 3+2, 4+1.
  • The six that give sum of 7: 1+6, 2+5, 3+4, 4+3, 5+2, 6+1

So there are 4 chances out of 36 (or 1 out of 9 = 11.11%) to get a sum of 5, and 6 chances out of 36 (or 1 out of 6 = 16.67%) to get a sum of 7. If you want either 5 or 7 as a sum, add the chances together to get 10 out of 36 (or 5 out of 18 = 27.78%)

User Avatar

Wiki User

โˆ™ 2011-04-12 04:14:16
This answer is:
๐Ÿฆƒ
0
๐Ÿคจ
0
๐Ÿ˜ฎ
0
User Avatar
Study guides

Algebra

20 cards

A polynomial of degree zero is a constant term

The grouping method of factoring can still be used when only some of the terms share a common factor A True B False

The sum or difference of p and q is the of the x-term in the trinomial

A number a power of a variable or a product of the two is a monomial while a polynomial is the of monomials

โžก๏ธ
See all cards

J's study guide

1 card

What is the name of Steve on minecraft's name

โžก๏ธ
See all cards

Steel Tip Darts Out Chart

96 cards

170

169

168

167

โžก๏ธ
See all cards

Add your answer:

Earn +20 pts
Q: What is the probability of rolling a sum of a 5 or a sum of a 7?
Write your answer...
Submit
Related questions

What is the probability of rolling a sum of 7 when rolling one die twice?

The probability is 1/6.


What is the probability of rolling a sum which is a multiple of five?

There are 36 permutations of rolling two standard dice. Of them, four (1+4, 2+3, 3+2, and 4+1) sum to five, and three (6+4, 5+5, and 4+6) sum to ten. The probability, then of rolling a multiple of five is 7 in 36, or about 0.1944.


What is the probability of rolling a sum of 7 and 11?

The answer depends on how many dice you are rolling and how many times.


What is the probability of rolling a sum of 7 with 2 dice?

Te probability of rolling a sum of 7 with two fair dice is 6 in 36, or 1 in 6, or about 0.1667.Of all the possible combinations of two dice, the sum of 7 has the highest probability, with the other combinations decreasing down to 2 and 12, with probabilities of 1 in 36, or about 0.0278.


What is the probability of rolling a sum of 10 or a sum that is an odd number when two number cubes are rolled?

The probability is 21/36 = 7/12


What is the probability of getting a sum of 7 or 11 by rolling two dice?

There are 36 permutations of two dice. Of them, 6 have a sum of 7, (1+6, 2+5, 3+4, 4+3, 5+2, and 6+1) and 2 have a sum of 11 (5+6 and 6+5). The probability, then of getting a sum of 7 or 11 is (6 plus 2) in 36, or 8 in 36, or 2 in 9, or about 0.2222.


If you roll two fair dice what is the probability a three or six will appear?

Probability of rolling a 3 is 2/36 & the probability of rolling a 6 is 5/36; probability of rolling a 3 or 5 is 2/36 + 5/36 = 7/36.


What is the probability of not rolling a sum of 7 three times in a row?

Possible outcomes for one cube = 6 .Possible outcomes for 2 cubes = 6 x 6 = 36 .Ways to roll a sum of 7 = 6 ways,1, 6 . . . 2, 5 . . . 3, 46, 1 . . . 5, 2 . . . 4, 3Probability of rolling a 7 on the first roll = 6/36 = 1/6 .Probability of rolling a 7 on the second roll = 6/36 = 1/6 .Probability of rolling a 7 on the third roll = 6/36 = 1/6 .Probability of rolling a sum of 7 three times in a row = (1/6 x 1/6 x 1/6) = (1/6)3 = 1/216 = 0.00463 = 0.463%Probability of not rolling a sum of 7 three times in a row = 1 - (probability of doing it) = 99.537%


What is the probability of getting a multiple of 5 when rolling 2 dice?

The probability is 7/36


Suppose you roll two dice find the probability of not rolling a sum of 7?

Prob(Not 7) = 1 - Prob(7) = 1 - 6/36 = 1- 1/6 = 5/6


If 2 dice are rolled what is the probability of rolling a sum less than 7?

It is 15/36.


What is the probability of rolling a sum of 11 with 2 dice?

The probability of rolling a sum of 11 with 2 dice is: P(11) = 1/18.For explanation see answer to question: "What is the probability of rolling 7 or 11 with 2 dice?".Read more: What_is_the_probability_of_rolling_7_or_11_with_2_dice


When two dice are rolled find the probability of getting a 6 or 7?

Probability that the sum is 6 = 5/36 Probability that the sum is 7 = 6/36


What is the probability of rolling a 7 or 11 with two dice?

The probability of rolling a 7 with 2 dice is 6/36; probability of rolling an 11 is 2/36. Add the two together to find probability of rolling a 7 or 11 which is 8/36 or 2/9.


When rolling a pair of dice determine the probability of rolling a number less than 7?

5 over 11


What is the probability of rolling a 7 on a regular six-sided die?

The probability of rolling a 7 on a standard die is 0. It will not ever happen.


What operation is used when calculating the probability that 2 events will happen and Find the theoretical probability of rolling a total of 7 as a sum of two dices?

If the two events are unrelated, as they are in rolling two dice or one die twice, simply multiply the probabilities together. However, you also have to consider the permutations involved in rolling dice and realize that there is more than one way to roll a particular sum. There are 36 permutations of rolling two dice. Of these, exactly one has a sum of two, the the probability of rolling a sum of two is 1 in 36, or about 0.02778. You simply multiply 1 in 6 by 1 in 6, getting 1 in 36. In the case of rolling a sum of seven, there are exactly six permutations, 1+6, 2+5, 3+4, 4+3, 5+2, and 6+1, so the probability of rolling a sum of seven is 6 in 36, or 1 in 6, or about 0.1667. Another example is rolling pairs, such as two's or three's. The probability of rolling "something" on one die is 1 in 1, while the probability of matching it on the second die is 1 in 6, so you multiply (1 in 1) by (1 in 6) to get a probability of rolling a pair of 1 in 6, or about 0.1667. More useful towards understanding this concept is a deck of 52 cards. The probability of drawing an Ace is 4 in 52, or 1 in 13, or about 0.07692. The probability of drawing two Ace's is (4 in 52) times (3 in 51), or 12 in 2652, or 1 in 221, or about 0.004525. In this case, the two events are related, because the occurrence of the first event affects the probability of the second event, so you need to consider the calculation carefully.


What is the probability of getting a 7 after rolling a single die numbered 1 to 6?

The probability of rolling a 7 at any time on a single die is zero.


How do you work out the probability of dice problems?

Count the number of permutations of the expected results and divide by the number of permutations of the possible results. This is standard probability theory, and it applies to everything in probability, not just dice.For instance, with two dice, there are 36 possible permutations, while there is only 1 permutation that adds up to a sum of 2, though there are 6 permutations that add up to a sum of 7. As a result, the probability of rolling a sum of 2 is 1 in 36, while rolling a 7 is 6 in 36, or 1 in 6.


Suppose you roll two dice what is the probability of rolling a sum of 7?

There are 21 different combinations of two dice. Three of them total 7 (3 + 4, 2 + 5, 1 + 6), so if you have two 'fair' dice, you have a 1 in 3 chance of totalling 7.


What is the probability of the sum of two dice not equaling 7?

It is 30/36 = 5/6.


What is the theoretical probability of rolling sum of 7?

-- There are (6 x 6) = 36 possible rolls for a fair pair of 6-sided dice.-- There are 6 ways to roll a sum of 7 :1 ... 62 ... 53 ... 44 ... 35 ... 26 ... 1-- So the probability is 6/36 = 1/6 = 162/3 % .-- The probability is the probability, not the 'theoretical' probability.


What is the probability of rolling an even number with 3 dice?

With one roll of three dice, the probability is 7/8.


What is the probability of rolling a sum of 7 decimal?

Not quite sure how a decimal enters into the question. Please edit the question to include more context or relevant information.


What are the chances of rolling the number seven with two dice?

There are 36 permutations of two dice. Of these, six have a sum of seven. The probability, then, of rolling a seven on two dice is 6 in 36, or 1 in 6, or about 0.1667.It does not matter if two dice are rolled one time, or if one die is rolled two times. The probability of rolling a sum of 7 is still about 0.1667.The first thing to do is to identify all possible combinations which could give the sum of 7. These are: 6 and 1, 5 and 2, 4 and 3, 3 and 4, 2 and 5, and 1 and 6.Thus there are 6 possible combinations.For each of these combinations, the probability of getting the 1st number correct is 1/6 and the probability of getting the second number correct is 1/6, and so the overall probability of the combination is 1/36There are 6 ways to get 7 though so 6x 1/36 = 1/6Which means the probability that 2 dice rolls will add up to 7 is 1/6